Courage in a Can
Donning his retrieved armor, Janne rambles to Kasaki.
"Though it has been just days, I had forgotten the power in this armor. With each recent battle, I've been dead focused on trying to avoid my foes' attacks, particular with these obnoxious poisoned blades of theirs. But just feeling the enamel of this plate gives me courage. It's a strange thing, what a bit of metal can do.
I confess, I envy your magic, Kasaki. With just a few choice words, your power nears that of mine, and more than once your ability to split the distance between spaces has proved invaluable. Still, it seems to me that real power must be shaped; yours is ephemeral. That's what this armor is: a thousand years of refined power. Each man who has worn this armor has given it a bit of his valor, which the armor now affords its bearer.
It makes me wonder of this foreign dark elf who should experience its protection, if briefly. Who are these overconfident dark elves, such that they let us escape when they had us in their grasp; only to fall so quickly this time? I've seen not one patrol, and these two seemed remarkably unprepared, given our previous encounter. Perhaps it is merely the cycle of justice come to haunt them in their last day. Or, perhaps hubris.
Truthfully, I have more than my fair share of hubris. Ha! I know, I state the obvious. But it is not without cause. Twice I have been sure of myself, and my cause, and both times it has brought on me ruin. Should I then be timid? Would my uncertainty help us, will it rescue Bemmut?
No. We must be bold. We must be bold and succeed, or die. And this armor, the courage of those who were bold before me, may well be the difference between the one and the other.

1 Comments:
550xp
Post a Comment
<< Home