Banewarrens

The Banewarrens google campaign blog.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

A Little Wren Told Me...

[These events follow Bemmut's conversation with Aldor, immediately before the party meets Searc.]

Act II, Scene i

Bemmut, having left Aldor Fairbanks house, proceeds to the Church for divine inspiration. He lights some incense, and begins to pray.

Bemmut: Lothian, I seek your guidance. [begins to cast a spell] How can I both make amends for the sins of my father but help ensure that my company will not fall to the evil of the Banewarrens?

[several minutes of silence pass, then Bemmut's eyes open]

B: [repeating to himself the answer he has just recieved] "Though there are many dwarves near, but just one you call friend. He's closer than you think, he awaits a helping hand." [A pause, then he stands and exits]

[end Scene i]


Act II, Scene ii

Bemmut and fellow clerics of Lothian are discussing the divination in small library.

Bemmut: And you believe it to be that simple?

Priest: I see no reason Lothian would need to mask his will.

Cleric 1: And what does it cost us? It is a simple spell.

B: I'm afriad I am prepared for a day of adventure, not one of discovery.

C1: I am certain someone in the Church will be prepared to locate an individual. I'll be back in just a moment. [exit]

B: So, you believe that a simple Helping Hand spell will suffice?

P: Carefully worded, yes. In this case, I think the divination itself gives us the information we need: we should find a dwarf...

B: ...who I call friend. Of course.

[a short pause, and then C1 and Sharell enter]

P: Ah, that was fast.

C1: Lothian has spoken, and his will be done. Sharell [Sharell nods in greeting to Bemmut] has a Helping Hand ready, whenever you are.

B: Please, let us see who we find.

[end Scene iii]


Act II, Scene iii

Just a few minutes have passed. Bemmut and Sharell are waiting at the entrance to the Church, when Sharell notices her ghost hand leading a badly bleeding dwarf. The dwarf is enormously stocky, with dirty, curly red hair and a short beard with several tight braids or dreadlocks.

Bemmut: [rushing over to the dwarf] Lothian above! Is that you Searc? What manner of beast has done this to you?

Searc: Bemmut? Gods, man, heal me before I lay down and die before you.

B: [casts a healing spell] Are you all right?

S: Yes, yes, my god. I ran into a pack of rats like none I've ever seen, for each one I struck down, I swear two more would come from the cracks of the earth itself. I managed to find a way back to the surface, but they've messed with my mind, or something. I can't concentrate worth a damn!

B: [waving over Sharell] Let's get you inside and back on your feet. We have much to discuss... and I have a proposition for you.

[end Scene iii]


Act II, Scene iv

Bemmut and Searc are in a private room, and have been discussing the events that have passed since Searc left the Emperor's train, of which both Bemmut and Searc were a part, and where their friendship was formed.

Searc: I will be frank, Bemmut, this task sounds godly dangerous.

Bemmut: You speak the truth. I have seen more dead on the account of our actions than I can abide, and it is not lightly I would pass on this mantle to another.

S: Ha! You have a way with words Bemmut, but not a good one!

B: [smiling] Oh, I think I may know your language, Searc, a bit too well perhaps, but such are these times. Listen, Searc, it does not sound like delving is going well for you. I would not be suprised if you are poorer now than when you started. [Searc takes on a gruff, but guilty look] Look here, I'll pay you a thousand gold on the spot to join the group, and another thousand when the Church agrees the Banewarrens are sealed tight.

S: And you think you're being generous? That is a pittance.

B: A pittance! That is on top of your share of the 20,000 the Church has offered, not to mention the tresaure you'll find. [Searc looks unmovable] Fine! Listen, I have no more gold to offer you... but... here. [Bemmut removes a ring from his left hand]

S: Hrm. A ring... protection?

B: It's not much, but it will keep you safe, and it's worth as much as the gold I offer.

S: [looks distant. A moment later] Bemmut, do you know of the Black Grail?

B: [after a moment] No, I don't believe so.

S: No matter. Very well, here with the gold and the ring. I'll do your work.

B: [looks relieved] Thank you, Searc. You have freed me to work to restore the honor of the Church, and lifted a great darkness from my mind.

S: You and your words! You should stop before I change my mind.

B: [grins] So be it. Three more matters. First, Sister Mara gave me this scroll to help in our task of finding the Sword. I will not have time to help, so I give the scroll to you. [Searc takes the scroll, and opens it, eyes wide] But don't even think about selling it!

S: Hrmph. Fine. And the others?

B: Second... the gnome I mentioned, he is the third of his kind to join the group. Gnomes, it seems, do not live long. [Searc raises an eyebrow.] At any rate, buy a platinum ring for Shield Other before you go. No, nevermind. Just take mine. [Bemmut sighs as Searc takes it readily]

B: Lastly... here. [Hands Searc a stack of sealed letters] Give these to the party. I hope to see them all again, but I have a great many things to discuss with the Church... and my father, and there are never enough hours in the day. Now, go with haste. The party will surely be waiting for me, and you'll have much to explain before you enter the Quaan. God speed, Searc. I will be at St. Thessina, and I hope you will find time to let me know how the quest goes. Even we are both busy, write me a note, I'll make the time to read it, and I will help however I can. Now, off with you.

[end Scene iv]

Act II, Scene v

Bemmut reads a letter from Searc, left at St. Thessina sometime midday.

Bemmut: [begins reading] "Dearest Bemmut,

Searc: ...Thank you so much for having me fill in for you today. I have almost been killed twice already. Once, by a giant splitting ooze that had a grip tighter than iron manacles; then nearly again by a horde of roving undead with a lack of respect for toe-to-toe combat.

You can take your Banewarrens and shove 'em. And what the hell happened with going to the Quaan? I never thought I'd say I'd rather have been on a plane filled with humanoid-haters than some random ancient ruins, but there it is.

Hope you're having a safe, undead-free time gathering old ladies and children for your congregation..

B: "Lovingly, Searc." [Bemmut sighs]

2 Comments:

At 7:32 AM, Blogger Piaw Na said...

Excellent! 400xp

 
At 7:34 AM, Blogger Piaw Na said...

oh, and forgot: 1 action point as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home