Banewarrens

The Banewarrens google campaign blog.

Saturday, October 07, 2006

Janne Ilander

"Why do people always hurry around the guards? Don't they make people safe? Don't they make people happy?" -- Bemmut Neferul, age 8

There are four winds in this world, Law, Good, Chaos, and Evil.

The Wind of Law, from the West, brings justice. Under Empress Addares XXXIII, I brought to task those who would seek to unravel the laws, the weave on which society sits. Each day I would seek another: this day a shadowy arsonist, the next a corrupt guard, the next a lowly cutpurse. And with me, a cleric boy, devout and true, to whom I taught justice.

The Wind of Good, from the North, brings hope. When Empress Addares XXXIV took court to the Sea Kingdoms, I stayed as a reminder to those in her wake that Law remained. I continued my hunts, and on the day of their trials, I would be present. And for each convicted, whether strong or weak, rich or poor, I would bless him, and give one gold piece, for though he was a criminal, he was not truly evil. And with me, a cleric boy, devout and true, to whom I taught compassion.

The Wind of Chaos, from the East, brings change. With three emperors claiming the throne, I found the evil around me growing ever bolder. A doubt grew in my mind as each trial brought acquittal for the wealthy, and punishment for the poor. And so, I called for help: a letter to my paladin order, to send someone who could help me see
through the veil before me. And so I met Jallek Pedastan, who walked with me in my hunts, and sat with me in trial.

With each day, I saw his eyes narrow. On the sixth was the trial of Foster Foley, a lender accused of overcharging his clients. As we left, Jallek turned to me, and said, "Jan, there is no good left here. The Empire is in chaos. Leave this place; abandon your post before it consumes you."

"I am sworn to my post," I replied, "and cannot leave until I find the source of this corruption." And so he nodded, and gave me a curt, "Follow." And we walked not out of the building, but up the stairs, to the judges' quarters. And there we found the Chief Justice.

Jallek spoke: "I am Jallek Pedastan, friend of Jan Ilander. I am visiting Taris from Ptolus, and have a few questions, if it pleases Your Honor."

"Please, feel free."

"I have sat in court these past few days, and believe I could aid in the proceedings. Would you mind if I cast a simple spell at the beginning of each trial? A simple Zone of Truth, cast before the defendant makes his Oath. Surely the innocent have nothing to fear, and the wicked everything."

The Justice's face went dark. "I do object. I will not have just anyone casting frivolous spells in my courts."

"Of course, of course: a lesser action then—let us have the public defenders take an oath, to assure that they act for the good of the realm."

"Absolutely not! There are far too many, it would be a horrid waste of time!"

"Perhaps, then, the judges? There are far fewer, and surely they have nothing to fear from truth."

The Justice stood. "This is absurd! What conceit of yours to enter my rest quarters and purport to question my court!"

And then, Jallek began to cast, and the Justice's eyes grew wide. He pushed past us, without a word, and only once out of the room did we hear him say, "Guards! Remove these brutes from my chambers!"

Jallek left. And from that day I found that I was running out of assignments, that my leads were dry, that the guard looked upon me with cruel suspicion. And I knew that I could do no more here. The city was against me in all but name, and my undoing nigh. And so I conceded to the corruption before me, and fled the city. And left behind, a cleric boy, devout and true, to whom I taught humility.

The Wind of Evil, from the South, brings death. No longer bound to the Empire, I traveled, and came to rest in Ptolus. There, I sat again with Jallek, and many of his companions: the Knights of the Golden Cross. An order small but fierce, and devoted to fight the evil of this world: I learned their history, and saw how I could be a part of their future. And day by day, I built a new life, one of justice, compassion, and humility.

I have taken the mantle of a Knight of the Golden Cross, and under their eyes have started my never-ending journey. But now the Knights tell me, in a scene of blood and gore, a cleric boy, devout and true, has gone missing.

Bemmut Neferul, whom I taught so long ago: I will find you.

1 Comments:

At 10:55 PM, Blogger Piaw Na said...

250xp + 1 action point

 

Post a Comment

<< Home