Banewarrens

The Banewarrens google campaign blog.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Chapter 1: A Fell Breeze

I knew something was wrong as soon as I entered the Church of Lothian. I was expecting Bemmut, but instead, I saw a bloodbath. It seemed that unknown forces had attacked the church, killed several people, and kidnapped Bemmut. I was only supposed to be in Ptolus to negotiate a trade agreement with Bemmut -- apparently, he had recently found the whereabouts of a pair of Boots of the Unending Journey, a holy Relic to Fharlanghn.

An investigator from the Church of Lothian, Brother Alfus, requested everyone present for help. I reported back to my own superiors on my next course of action, but I knew that they would ask me to render any aid possible in locating Bemmut -- without him, we would not be able to recover the Relic. There were others present: Janne, an honourable Knight from the Church of Lothian; Deathspank, an unkempt but fierce barbarian from the east; Igbot, a strange halfling who claimed he was a Gnome; Damien, a plain looking arcanist that was a friend of Bemmut; and Aeriana, an attractive half-elf who seemed to be a veritable spring of useful facts. I was still new to the city, so I figured that following these long-time residents would also be wise as well.

To find out what happened, we questioned one of the spirits of the slain in the church. I knew that my quest was important to Fharlanghn when his power compelled the spirit of a slain Paladin of Lothian to answer me, even though it refused speak with Brother Alfus, a fellow member! From the spirit, I was able to discover troubling news: that dark elves -- drow had attacked the church. The drow! It was indeed a bold move for them to openly attack in a populated city.

We needed more information, and Aeriana, suggested that we contact an elf in the city who was renowned for fighting against the dark elves. We visited the elf at his manor in the elven district, and after a extravagant meal of the kind that I rarely enjoy while on the road, we told us of the drow. He told us about a stronghold deep beneath the city.

The following day, we ventured into a sewer via a grate that appeared to have recently been bent outwards, as if someone or something had climbed out of it. It wasn't long in the sewers before we encountered a troll of sorts. However, it appeared that our band of adventurers were quite capable, and the beast fell after a few seconds of beatings from the barbarian, the paladin, and myself.

We continued forward, and after some time, emerged in an awe-inspiring cavern. I knew that my travels would take me to places, but I had never imagined that I'd see such a large cave under the earth. As I waited for the others to climb down a series of ledges, I felt a slight breeze in my face. But it wasn't a breeze that offered relief from the stale cavern air or the oppressive darkness, but a fell breeze that twisted a knot in my stomach. Some great evil dwelled in these tunnels, and I had a feeling that we'd meet some very soon.

2 Comments:

At 7:33 AM, Blogger Piaw Na said...

500xp

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Neal said...

Janne grins evily. "Ah, yes, Lothian."

[Depending on your spot check, you may notice that Janne's holy symbol is roughly in the shape of a pentogram; depending on your knowledge(religion) you may know that the symbol for Lothian is an ankh]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home